This church, in Spanish the Iglesia Parroquial de Mare de Déu dels Desemparats, was built between 1875 and 1878 with stone taken from the Castle of Moraira, which was demolished in one of the battles of the Carlist wars. It has been refurbished on several occasions,
It is in the centre of Moraira. It is rectangular and divided by columns into 3 naves, with the main nave being twice as large as the lateral naves.
In 1981 the church was extended, and 4 arches with crystal windows were constructed in the form of traditional "riuraus" (porticoes with semi-circular arches). The new bell tower houses two bells.
The inside of the church is plain and simple apart from a portrait of its patron saint, the Virgen de los Desamparadosa, and two mosaics, one decorating the altar and the second is of the crucifixion of Christ. Both mosaics are the work of the artist Ros Martí.
A procession is held in honour of the patron saint on 16 July.
Return to Moraira page